Monday, March 18, 2013

Hey Soul Sister

So, if a six-year-old girl asked you what "hey, soul sister" means, what would you say?

What would you do if she then started singing "hey, saxy lady"?

As if the situation isn't bad enough, what if she threw in a little gangnam style for good measure.

Should I be worried about what's going on in my daughter's Kindergarten class?  Is this what I can expect from public school for the foreseeable future? 

I don't consider myself overly uptight, but I really can't get behind these kinds of songs being sung in a classroom filled with six-year-olds.

The babe explained to me that her friend explained to her that "saxy" means "pretty."  Then the little guy, who is FOUR, started singing, "hey saxy lady, I want to jump on your cloud."  Who knows what that means...but I'm fairly sure it can't be good (my friends will tell you I don't know my lingo for beans).

So, do I move from the big bad city (OK, the urban suburban neighborhood) and retreat to a sparsely-populated country area where kids aren't exposed to this kind of craziness?  Oh, right, kids aren't really sheltered anywhere anymore.

Luckily this was a one-time event, but if it's any indication of what's to come, I simply am not ready.

No comments: