Thursday, August 23, 2012

Family

I recently came across this great Erma Bombeck quote from The Ties That Bind...And Gag.

I thought it was worth sharing with you:

"The family.  We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together."

This quote reminds me of growing up one of three kids in my family and helps me envision what my "new" family will look like in the years to come.

It's been happening before my eyes.  My kids are now starting to experience the same challenges and joys of growing up that I did.  Their relationship as siblings is blossoming and their reliance on each other is increasing.  I hope theirs is a bond they will maintain well into the future.      

As the babe prepares to start Kindergarten on Monday, I am dwelling on the fact that my little family's grand adventure has been flowing by at what sometimes feels like warp speed, and at others, like molasses going up a hill.  Joy and pain, hand in hand.

Before I send my first born off to her first day of elementary school, I just wanted to share how blessed I feel to trudge through this life with my extended family.  Love to you all.

No comments: