Wednesday, September 21, 2011

That First Cafe Au Lait

My friends, I am happy to announce that the day I have been eagerly anticipating finally arrived.  Yesterday I dropped the babe off at her school, drove over the little guy's school, dropped him off, and drove to the coffee shop.  I sat down, by myself, and ordered a cafe au lait in a bowl (because I was going to be sitting down for a while) and a croissant with gooey melted cheese and ham.  It was simply marvelous, marvelous, marvelous.  I got to sit for 45 minutes uninterrupted and read the "express" newspaper and my very engaging book, Bel Canto.  I had waited almost 5 years for that moment and it was pure bliss.

Now, lets rewind to last week.  On Tuesday the 13th, the little guy started school.  He was so excited as we pulled up to the building.  He kept yelling, "my school, my school!"  The class was a buzz with activity, and all of us parents were staying for the session which went from 9:30 to 11:00 am.  I was proud of the little guy's independence and general interest in getting his hands on everything he could, as fast as he could.  He also rocked the sand box and was the first one in with the trucks.  I had a good feeling when I left at 11 am. You know the kind of feeling you get when you realize you made a good decision (doesn't happen much, right?).  Well that's how I felt.  I was thrilled the little guy is going to be spending 2 mornings a week in this very fun and loving environment.

Then came Thursday....this was the day when parents didn't have to stay.  I knew I was going to be taking off as soon as I felt the little guy was OK.  What I didn't realize was that he was going to feel OK the second he walked into the classroom.  I literally had to beg my boy for a hug good bye.  Again, I left the building feeling secure and happy.  I have volunteered to be the school's newsletter editor this year, which meant I had a meeting to attend that morning.  So while I was without children for a short window, I was not doing anything special (i.e. selfish) to mark this new phase of my life. 

Special came to me yesterday. 

While I don't envision spending 2 mornings a week drinking cafe au lait, I am looking forward to all the little things I will be able to take care of in my 5 hours of freedom a week (which includes drive time, sadly).

Here's to all the possibilities!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love it! so glad you enjoyed it! you deserve it! :)

Catherine Ryan said...

I hate trying to decide what to do in down time. I get the 1 1/2 hours a day when Clio is in bed. There is so much to be done that is easier with her asleep (laundry, cleaning, cooking, renovating etc) that I rarely get to anything for just me. I do try to sit for 15 minutes everysleep time.

Glad you're getting some time. XX

Cath