Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sweet, Sweet, Saturday and Sullen, Snotty Sunday

It was bliss.  Last Saturday was a postcard Saturday.  It was the kind of summer Saturday I used to dream of having.  A perfect day.  A lovely sleep in.  Well behaved children.  Drinks on the patio under our new umbrella.  Kids playing in the kiddie pool and sliding into the water with glee.  BBQ dinner.  Good conversation.  Many laughs.  Many smiles.  All around great vibes.

As my husband said on Sunday though, I suppose we had such a lovely time that we have to pay for it now.  Sunday was one of those days I never used to dream of having.  The kids were cranky and misbehaved.  In fact, the babe even screamed that she is going to be a better Mother than me when she grows up.  Keep in mind this was as I was loading her into the car for a morning play date at the park (what kind of Mother does that, anyway?).  I shut the car door and announced to the empty streets that I hope my daughter IS a better Mama than me one day.  Always room for improvement. 

My husband and I were wiped out.  It was hot and muggy.  We ended up canceling our planned trip to the Outback Steakhouse because the babe had pushed us too far.  We even cancelled dessert and story time for good measure.  And for some strange reason the kids weren't as into the US vs Japan soccer game as my husband and I were.  Overall, it was not a feel good day.  I was totally ready for Monday when it came.

Sadly Monday came and the misery continued.  It is amazing that one child's behavior has the ability to knock the rest of the family from their feel good place, but there it is.  I can only hope that my continued efforts to get through to my little girl will eventually succeed.

Not sure if it's the fact that we're facing the last week of summer school, or the fact that it is truly miserably hot and humid, but we need to figure out a way for the babe to be happy so the rest of us can be happy, because I am not interested in being held hostage by her extreme moodiness, lack of respect and inability to listen to simple instructions. I understand children need to test limits, but I am getting tired of upholding them all the time. 

All that said, I do try and remind myself, just as she reminded us the other day, the babe is, after all, only four and a half.  I don't remember what it's like to be that age, but I assume it must be a mix of awesome and terrible.  At the end of the day, I truly hope I can recreate more sweet, sweet Saturdays and help us all find some inner peace.  Ideas are always welcome!

No comments: