Wednesday, July 20, 2011

In Context

I need to stop and take a deep breath.  My kids are changing and growing every second and saying and doing the most amazing things every day.  I forget that they are little people with very big ideas.  They just don't know how to put their big ideas into any sort of context.

Today was the babe's class trip to the WATER PARK!  She was in a great mood and being quite cooperative (maybe I need to take her there every day?).  She was also in a very, very chatty mood.

As we neared her school, the babe was talking about playing in the water, using goggles, and then announced that she wanted a snorkel.  I told her I didn't have a snorkel, but if I saw one designed for 4 year olds I would consider buying it.  Frankly, I'm not sure 4 year olds are able to use snorkels....but what do I know.  She thanked me and proceeded to ask if the police arrest you if you don't use the snorkel properly. 

At the time I was parking the car and a huge smile spread across my face.  I turned around to face her and asked if she could repeat herself.  I had apparently heard her right the first time: Do the police arrest you if you don't use your snorkel properly?  I'm not sure what I've been saying about the police lately (maybe that they should arrest all the terrible drivers clogging up DC's streets), but I assured her that the police are not involved in snorkeling and do not arrest children who are improperly using snorkels.  In fact, she doesn't really need to worry about being arrested at all....not yet, anyway.

This conversation served as a good reminder that part of my role as a Mama is to help my kids piece the world together, bit by bit.  As much as it may appear that the babe has it all figured out, she doesn't.  And for that, I'm grateful.

No comments: