Tuesday, May 31, 2011

In the Garden

I'll admit it.  I was being a slacker.  I knew I wanted a veggie garden at our new house, I just didn't feel like digging one out and going through all the steps to make it happen.  I kept putting it off and putting it off thinking that if I waited long enough, it may just magically happen. 

Last Friday my husband passed a comment that it looked as though we weren't going to have a garden this year.  My heart sunk.  I didn't say anything, but I decided then and there I was going to make it happen.

After dropping the babe off at school, the little guy and I went to the garden center and stocked up on compost/soil stuff, some flowers for the empty pots on the deck, and some tomato, cucumber and potato plants.  I felt like I was on a roll.

I got home and managed to get all the flowers planted in the pots, and dug out a patch of grass/soil to create a garden.  When my husband got home that night, I was openly bragging about all the hard work I had done.  The hard work actually turned out to be yesterday.

Despite the insane heat, the four of us spent a good chunk of the morning and the late afternoon working in our yard.  We finished digging out the garden, added all the compost stuff, and planted all our veggies. We got rid of a bunch of ugly bushes beneath our dining room windows and in the process realized it would be the perfect place to throw in some more veggies, so why not have 2 gardens?  Only time will tell if this approach was a tad overambitious.

The kids were helpful with the planting and watering steps, but not so helpful with the digging. No surprises there.  They spent a majority of the time spraying each other silly with the garden hose (I realized we don't own a sprinkler!).

It felt good to work as a family and get so much done, together.  I am excited we now have a garden to love, and that the kids will be eating more veggies this summer, because they helped make them.  I'm also glad I got off my butt because having a family project will be good for all of us this summer.

Next step is to buy some more veggie plants for the second garden.  Perhaps eggplant and peppers?  I'll post some photos soon!   

No comments: