Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bring on the Dairy!

Cheese stick?  OK.  Yogurt?  Sure thing.  Some ice cream and chocolate milk?  Why not?

Dear friends, I am happy to announce that my son passed his "food challenge" today at the allergist's office.  We were there for about 5.5 hours and the little guy had 5 doses of whole milk.  He showed no reaction whatsoever.  He was, in fact, remarkably well behaved considering he was dragged out of bed in the dark, walked in the cold to an office where he had to remain in a small room being forced to repeatedly drink milk and have his blood pressure and heart checked every half hour or so.

It was a strange experience and I'm glad we went through with it.  I was pretty nervous and had trouble sleeping last night (as did both kids), but was so relieved when the doctor said he was officially in the clear.

I am not sure how I'm going to deal with having one child who can consume dairy products and one who cannot.  But for now, at least I know that he and I can snack together during the day without any fear.

Realistically, this is going to mean I live in a house with soy milk (the babe), lactose-free milk (my husband), whole milk (the little guy), 1% milk and half and half (for me).  Seems a bit ridiculous, no?

While we have one food challenge out of the way, I remain extremely nervous about the babe's egg challenge on Friday.  One way or another, we are giving it our best shot this week.  Hopefully this weekend will involve some celebrating in the kitchen! 

No comments: