Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Sweetest Sorry

"Sorry, Mama."

That's what the little guy said to me today right before his nap.  He had just thrown a toy across the room as I was getting him in his pajamas.  I responded to his energetic display of carelessness with a curt "No throwing." 

He looked at me, hugged me close and said "Sorry, Mama."

This may not seem like a big deal, but it is the first time my son has ever apologized to me.  He appears to have picked up the word "sorry" this week.  We told him to say sorry to his sister last night after he had been pushing her around.  He walked over to her, hugged her, and said "Sorry."

Perhaps it's that we have just returned from 16 days in Canada and Canadians say "sorry" more than Americans.  Perhaps it's that we have been encouraging apologies between the 2 siblings for some time now and the little guy has gotten used to his big sister frequently hugging him and saying sorry.

Whatever the explanation, I was extremely touched by this simple apology.  So touched I had to get myself in front of the computer and document it. 

Perhaps this was all I needed to come back to you, 24-7 Mommy.com.

Happy New Year.  I'm looking forward to continuing my Motherhood journey with you.

1 comment:

Gimmiegot said...

I laughed out loud regarding your comment on Canadians apologizing more than Americans. Very funny! I'm glad you are writing again, I miss you and will try and call this week so we can schedule a visit.r