Monday, August 9, 2010

The Owie Obsession

Not to be overly dramatic, but the babe appears to be obsessed with "owies."  In tonight's bed time story, Curious George had an owie.  The babe immediately tried to grab the book to investigate the nature of his owie.  It wasn't evident, but I knew it was somewhere on his foot.  The babe was quite determined to figure out what was wrong with George but I ended up turning the page so we could move on.

I have been told this kind of obsessive behavior around minor or believed injuries is normal at this age, but frankly, I am pretty tired of hearing about it.  Sadly we all get owies during our lives. And it's important to learn how to deal with them in the best and most positive way possible.  It's not easy, but it's a very real part of being human.

When the babe comes to me with an owie and "needs" a band aid (daily), we have a little chat about the owie, check it out, and I usually give her a band aid if that will make her feel better.  I have learnt that I have to pick my battles and am not willing to fight over band aids. 

The thing that really gets me is that the babe appears to be a picker.  I think it may be genetic, the tendency to pick, because I can remember my maternal Grandmother being a big picker.  The babe will sit around and pick at her finger nails and toe nails constantly.  My husband and I are always telling her to quit it, but the pause will only last a few seconds before she's at it again.  I do not normally give band aids for any picking related injury unless there is real blood oozing out (which would not be a good thing). 

I am REALLY looking forward to this obsession with owies to pass but am afraid that the picking phase may not...some people are just pickers.  I hope it's not an indication of nervous energy. 

If any of you have had similar experiences with the owie obsession, feel free to share!  All tips on how to handle this predicament are more than welcome.

1 comment:

Mamabeing said...

I was a picker--and I eventually stopped when I got vain enough to care if I had scars...a long time from now for you! My cousin-nephew was also a crazy nailbiter around the Babe's age, he even bit his toes! It did seem to be a nervous habit and he outgrew it around 5 years old. This too shall pass! Not sure what else you can do besides what you're doing, it seems like the more attention you give things, the longer they last--or at least the more annoying they seem!