Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer Is Summer

Sometimes our trips to the library produce real gems.  Sometimes they don't.

Luckily we found a few great books on our last visit.

My recent favorite is a book about summer.  I love this one because it really hits the nail on the head.  It's called "Summer Is Summer" by Phillis and David Gershator with illustrations by Sophie Blackall.  Short and sweet, you almost think you're missing something on the first read through. But the more I've read it, the more I have come to appreciate its understated beauty.

My only problem with this book is that it mentions watermelon and ice cream on the same page.  The illustration is of a couple kids eating these summer treats.  Only problem is I'm reading it to my daughter who can have neither.  This past week we found out the babe is allergic to watermelon. 

What?  Watermelon? Yes, watermelon.  On Monday I gave her some watermelon after her fish stick dinner and she broke out in a rash on her face and developed some hives on her cheeks.  I thought she had developed an allergy to Pollock.  Then on Wednesday we had watermelon as out after school snack, and again, she broke out in hives and an itchy face rash.  So there ya have it, we are off melons of any kind now.

Summer is summer at our house, but just a little different.

No comments: