Monday, June 21, 2010

It's All Good

In last night's post I mentioned I was happy to come home to my family after my one night get away.  But I forgot to mention I was also happy to come back to my life in Washington, DC.  For the first time, I was not sad to be leaving the Big Apple, and that is a big deal.

When I moved away from NYC as a single childless professional 7 years ago, I figured I'd only be in DC for a few years, if that.  I knew I wanted to move back to New York, and that DC was just a temporary situation.  I would never have guessed I'd end up married raising 2 kids here. 

In the years since, I have missed New York.  And after my many visits back, I would long for it and wish I could be living the life my friends had continued living there without me.  That is unhealthy, but it was the truth.

DC started to grow on me once I had my children here.  It became their birthplace, and that is something pretty special.  It now feels like my home, and I appreciate all the amazing things it has to offer (not that I take advantage of all of them).  It still has its issues, but it really is a whole lot easier to raise a family here than in the Big Apple.

I suppose that I now see things through the eyes of a Mother, and since I haven't travelled back to my old home much in the past few years, I had never realized that I actually am in the right place now.  Living in the big city comes with a lot of sacrifices and challenges, and it also costs a boat load of money.  I love our huge lawn and the fact that I can see the stars and hear the crickets at night.  Yet we are only five metro stops from my husband's office downtown.  Five stops doesn't get you far in New York.

I will always miss NYC and it will continue to have a special place in my heart.  And somewhere down the road it would be very cool to live there again (without small children and with lots of cash), but for now, I have a blessed life here in DC, and I'm grateful for it.

No comments: