Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Breath of Fresh Air

I was seriously claustrophobic yesterday.  It was super hot, the kids had issues, and we were trapped in the house all day.  DC has been experiencing one helluva heat wave and it had gotten to the point where I was forgetting what fresh air felt like.  Today things changed.

My husband and I woke from a solid nights slumber at a very respectable 7:00 am.  After getting the little guy ready, I went to check in on the babe expecting to see my vibrant little girl back in the saddle after yesterday's illness.  Not so.  I found vomit in the bowl next to her bed and a disheveled babe.  She proceeded to throw up into the nasty bowl within a minute of me walking into her room.  My heart sank as I realized it was going to be another rough day. 

I got the little guy downstairs for breakfast while the babe chilled out in our bed watching Special Agent Oso.  I decided to head out with my husband to pick up the paper.  The little guy and I stepped out the front door and stopped in our tracks.  Oh My God.  A PERFECT day.  The air was crisp and clear.  The sun was shining and the sky oh so blue.  A light breeze caressed our cheeks (I'm not joking).  And just like that, my outlook changed.  Even though the babe was still under the weather, and we'd be confined to our house all day, we could open the windows and turn off the ridiculous air conditioning.

It was still a long day with a seriously unhealthy amount of television viewing, but the fact that we had fresh beautiful air drifting through the house made all the difference.  I felt like nature was trying to clean us all out.  At 4:30 pm I decided to get the kids outside.  After sitting/sleeping/watching TV/ being stuck to the couch all day, I managed to get the babe outside to check out our vegetable garden.  She was psyched to see all the little tomatoes and cucumbers growing.  I decided a walk around the block was in order and as I put the kids into the double stroller, who did we see walking down the street towards us?  My lovely husband, to our surprise, had come home early to be with his kiddies.  And that, my friends, was like a breath of fresh air.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

aaw great story!!!