Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Home

Today's message: if you're looking to buy or rent a new house, get one with a bathroom on the main floor.  We have been in our place for about a year and a half, and almost every day of that year and a half I have wished we had a bathroom on the main floor. 

I can not explain how often I hold it in because it is too much of a hassle to run upstairs with a child to use the facilities.  And I cannot tell you how many times the babe has interrupted dinner by announcing she has to go pee, really bad....RIGHT NOW.  The little guy and I then have to drop what we're doing (him eating, and me trying to keep up with the food production) and all get up the stairs safely so we can support the babe's important task. 

Potty training when there is no bathroom readily available is also an issue, and while we're generally in the clear with the babe, the little guy will be next in line and I hear boys are harder than girls.  I suppose I should start mentally preparing for it now to lighten the future mental load.

On another note, I also look forward to the day when we have kitchen cupboards that don't fall off.  Last week I tightened some screws on one of our cupboards because I noticed the door wasn't shutting properly.  I was so proud of myself for whipping out the screw driver and taking care of business myself.  Apparently I didn't really take care of business because this afternoon when I went to grab a plate, I ended up grabbing the whole door off the frame.  About 20 pounds of wood came crashing down on my shoulder, then my leg, and then the floor.  I am feeling pretty stiff and now have a big open concept cupboard.  I am just SO GRATEFUL the kids were not in the kitchen with me, because I don't even want to think of the damage it could have caused to their little bodies.  Yet another close call.

The contractor was here again today working on our plumbing issues and will apparently be here for another 5 hours tomorrow installing new faucets and some new thing a ma jig for the toilets upstairs (I wish he was installing a new bathroom on the main floor!).  I am sadly foreseeing an interrupted nap for the little guy, but am looking forward to being able to turn off taps properly and not having toilets running constantly.  While I recently wrote that naps are sacred, I have to add that conserving water is also sacred!

No comments: