Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's my Mouth, Mama!

Last week the little guy was up screaming for a few hours every night. He just wouldn't let up, and even after my husband would check on him, and ensure he had a pacifier and wasn't full of poop, the little guy would continue to cry off and on for what felt like an eternity. It just wasn't a pretty scene.

I was sad the little guy was so upset, frustrated, angry that he wouldn't just go to sleep, desperate, worried and really exhausted. I was really hoping it wasn't a new nighttime sleep trend. Because that is not a trend I can live with.

After 3 nights, it seemed to pass and he went back to his "normal" routine of getting up once a night to eat (and yes, I know he is a spoilt brat but I figure he deserves a snack after a 9 or 10 hour slumber and I'm too much of a wimp to cut him off).

Yesterday I happened to have a glance in the little guy's mouth. To my surprise, I saw a new tooth which had obviously broken through on the bottom quite recently (a lateral incisor). There is another one making it's way out now. According to the experts, these little teeth come in at about 13 months old, and guess who will be 13 months old this Sunday?

Perhaps this sleep craziness and the new teeth are all related. And perhaps the little guy needed some Tylenol. Perhaps next time I should worry about more than poop and pacifiers. Alas....we can never be perfect at this parenting thing. There are just too many bases to cover.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

We are dealing with that too! My little girl is 14 months old and is working on her 1 yr molars. My advice - nothing wrong with a nightly dose of "Vitamin M" aka Motrin :) hoping for restful nights!!