Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stress a Good Thing?

They say a little stress is a good thing. But how much, I wonder? Over time, my definition of stress has changed dramatically. Beyond the things we all worry about, such as food, shelter, health and bills, I now worry about feeding my kids (and my husband and I), keeping my kids safe, potty training, sleep training, nap time, doing the laundry, cleaning the kitchen, ensuring our house doesn't stink like dirty diapers, etc. etc. Like most things, you can't know what it's like until you experience it for your self.

Some folks think stay-at-home moms have a pretty good deal. We get to make our own schedule and rules, do what we want, go where we want, all while clocking quality hours in front of the TV eating bon bons (of course). Others, such as a lovely construction worker man who let me load the kids and the gear into the car today before returning to his loud side walk work, think that my job is harder than his. I told him I miss the office. He replied that was cause for concern.

It really depends what time of day you catch me at, because at some moments, I am so happy to be home with my wonderful and beautiful children, at others I am barely holding it together and wishing I could just disappear. I am told this is normal. My main goal is to try and ensure there is more bliss than stress. This, however, is hard to remember when you have a toddler sitting on the potty whining at you and a baby in a bouncy chair full on crying at you. There's a reason they say patience is a virtue. But we soldier on...because that what Mamas do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing great christine! Don't feel one bit ashamed if you just happened to find a moment over for bon bons and a movie - grab it and relish!

Anonymous said...

Hey christine!! I hear you mama!! Thank you for putting down in writing what so many of us feel! Being a SAHM is definitely harder than my old job.I wouldn't trade positions at this point and most days I feel blessed to be able to stay home with my son...most days. There are those days when I feel brain dead and uninteresting. I try to remember how important a job we are doing...and you are doing such a good job. Dealing with toddler challenges is hard enough for me..adding a five month old to the mix makes things really hard. I think you are doing a wonderful job! We need to stop for bons bons when we can! You need a trip to NYC!!
Lynn