Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Down Low

I was shopping at Target the other day and had the coolest experience. I was in the elevator with the babe when another woman jumped in at the last second. She recognized me and asked if we knew each other from the pool last summer. Indeed, we had had a great chat one sunny afternoon about the complexities and challenges of motherhood. She was pregnant at the time, and I remember giving her a bit of the down low on having your first baby.

After briefly chatting about her son (who is 9 months old already!) and the babe, she did something I wasn't expecting. She thanked me! She said I was the only person who had told her how badly motherhood "kicks you in the butt." It was obviously a conversation she remembered, and I was so pleased to hear I had helped her out a bit.

There are so many things people don't tell you about motherhood, and I'm glad I was able to shed a little bit of light on the experience for another woman. Hopefully this blog does that for some other folks as well.

No comments: