Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Drugs and Chocolates

I thought things were going to settle down on Friday. We'd been to the doctor, picked up the antibiotics for the newly diagnosed ear infection, and settled in for some cozy recovery time. When nap time came around, we got all snugly in bed, and the babe drank about half her bottle. She then leaned into me and threw up all over my chest. Then she did it again. And a third time for good measure. I had really thought we were done with all this!

I cleaned us both up, changed the bed sheets (which I had to do anyway), and got her off to sleep. I called the pediatrician (AGAIN), and finished my book (a thoroughly enjoyable and easy read--Remember Me?) while I waited for a call back. They obviously weren't too concerned as it took a few hours before the phone rang. Apparently vomiting, nausea and diarrhea are side effects of the new drug the babe is taking. The doc said it's a great drug, but vomiting can be a part of the experience. I suppose I would have known that if I'd read the "possible side effects" section of the patient counseling form provided by my friendly pharmacist.

But I figure it's better to be safe than sorry, especially when your kid has had eye surgery, high fevers, and is already on a few drugs. So, if you're giving your kid Amoxicillin and Clavulanate, be warned, things could get messy.

I'm really looking forward to the day when the babe doesn't have to be taking any medications at all. I really think she could use a break, and as much as all these things are "helping" her, I really don't want her to be on antibiotics all the time. Because a day may come when these drugs may not be so "helpful" anymore.

Happy Easter by the way! Hope you enjoy the day and eat lots of chocolates. I'm rather bummed the babe is allergic to dairy. Hopefully she'll have outgrown this problem by next Easter and we can have a full on egg hunt. In the meantime, I'm going to have to sneak in some Easter Cream Eggs for Mommy and Daddy.

No comments: