Friday, March 21, 2008

Bad Mommy Blogger - She's OK!


I do apologize for not doing an update about this week's eye surgery. It's been rather wacky times since the 18th.

The night before the surgery was intense. I felt like I was preparing for a very big trip (what to pack? what will happen?). I slept poorly and woke early. We packed the babe up and off we went to Gaithersburg, MD (Children's Hospital Outpatient Center). Man oh man it seemed far away.

Everyone we dealt with at the hospital was wonderful and efficient (I was shocked). Everything was clean and organized and reassuring (ah, the suburbs). Believe it or not, we got there at 8:00 am and were in the car to head home by 9:45 am. Not too shabby.

After being asked a lot of questions by a nurse and then a doctor and then an anaesthesiologist, we all got dressed up in our gowns and smocks and headed into the OR. I held the babe as they put on the gas mask to knock her out. She flipped and it took 3 of us to hold my screaming child down. Her face went red with intense anger and confusion. Then she was gone (but still making some gagging sounds). They took her from me and lay her on the table. That's when my husband and I were ushered out. That's when I lost it and started crying. I had to go to the ladies room to regain my composure.

We were with her again within 25 minutes in the recovery room. The doc said that indeed the passage had been obstructed. He heard the "snap, crackle, pop" as he irrigated the passageway. Nice. She came to and was extremely disoriented and even angrier than before. Eventually she calmed down after drinking some watered down formula. We got her dressed and packed her in the car again.

She threw up three times in the car. Poor bub. I highly recommend leather seats if you're buying a car and thinking of having children!

We celebrated with bacon cheeseburgers and fries (which I quickly regretted). After fasting, the babe had a serious hunger. She feasted on cheerios and fruit. After lunch, our little patient slept three hours and things were looking up. Bed time was a bit of a nightmare, but that was to be expected.

She came down with a fever on the 19th and was up a few hours in the middle of the night. She then had another high fever yesterday morning, and proceeded to throw up (which was not good as I was also watching my good friend's lovely daughter for the morning). So off to the pediatrician we went yesterday afternoon. They think she has an ear infection so now she has to have two doses a day of antibiotics, fours doses a day of eye drops, two doses a day of special nose spray, and Tylenol to control the fevers.

Everyone says this kind of thing is harder on the parents than it is on the children. I feel a bit older now. But as exhausted as I am, I also feel a bit stronger. As my wise cousin just wrote me, "Kids seem get over these small traumas generally much better than the parents do. I guess your head is full of what could of happened and hers is only what did happen."

So, needless to say, I haven't had time to turn on the computer. That makes me a bad mommy blogger. But thanks for checking in and for all the support. Let the healing begin!!

No comments: