Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Times They Are a-Changin'

Warning: This entry discusses breastfeeding, so if you don't want to hear about it, I'd stop reading now.
*****************************************************************************
Today, for the first time in over a year, I wore a normal bra. As I am not breastfeeding during the day anymore, I realized I am no longer tied to my functional, yet not so exciting nursing bras.

I can't tell you how much I have been looking forward to meeting my one year breastfeeding goal. I didn't think the day would ever come. Breastfeeding has sometimes felt like the most challenging task I have ever taken on (other than motherhood, of course). No one ever tells you what a big commitment it is. No one explains how it will become a part of you, and a part of your relationship with your baby. Well guess what, time's up. In 7 days, I will have met my goal. My daughter will be 1 and I will be done with this part of our lives together (not to be overly dramatic or anything).

I didn't think I'd be one of those Moms who is sad about stopping breastfeeding. I have gone through periods where I never thought I'd make it to December 2007. But time flies and here we are. A few weeks ago I started slowly weaning the babe as I didn't want to try and do it overnight. The fact that she started drinking formula really helped. 11 months of breastfeeding with no supplementing was pretty hard core. As soon as I started giving her bottles of formula, I started to feel a bit more free. She hasn't even seemed to mind the transition (which surprises me).

I have to admit that I started crying while doing the dishes last night. My husband was putting the babe to bed with a bottle, and as I listened to the monitor, I realized that things are changing and she'll never need me in the same way again (I have been breastfeeding her at night and putting her to bed since she was born).

We're down to about 2 to 3 feedings in a 24 hour period (all centered around night time) and I am about to drop to 1 or 2. By this time next week it will be only 1. And then it will be none. There will have to be a last time, and I have to be strong. It is time for us to move forward, as hard as it is going to be. Onto the next phase we go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new found freedom. I think feeling proud and relieved at the same time is normal. And selfishly I am excited about a night of chatting and drinking wine with my girlfriend. Maybe in Mtl during xmas otherwise definately in Jan.
xoxo,amy

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! You have given your daughter and amazing gift! How wonderful! You should feel so proud of yourself. Congratulations! and kudos also for weaning her so gently and at the same time so efficiently! Bravo!

Kimberly said...

Hi Christine!!!
I tagged you on my blog to share 7 little known things about yourself :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you for making it to a year of nursing! It is truly the best gift a mother can give her baby, and it can be such a challenge.

You know what's not that fun? Nursing through pregnancy....I am definitely hoping baby #2 is born with a good latch, it took ages for my poor breasts to recover from Abigael the Barracuda.

Congratulations and happy soon to be birtday to baby P, and happy birth day to you!
Melissa